Faculty Research Networking Luncheons
Faculty groups meet monthly during the academic year to jointly identify significant and upcoming research areas impacted by data science. During each luncheon, two participants deliver short, broad-view presentations with the goal of stimulating discussing among the group.
Currently, there are 5 active groups with a focus on the areas of Computational Social Sciences, Quantitative Biology, and Finite Earth/Sustainability. These groups comprise 87 faculty participants from across 8 Schools and 31 distinct academic departments.
Data Science Scholars
Data Science Scholars will join a university-wide initiative dedicated to advancing Data Science throughout Northwestern. Scholars hold joint-appointments with the Northwestern Institute on Complex Systems (NICO)—which coordinates the program—and another Research Center (see below) matching their area of expertise. They are appointed to two-year terms (potentially renewable for a third year) and receive a competitive stipend and benefits package and an individual research budget. Starting date is flexible.
The aim of the program is to offer a unique opportunity to expand the Scholars’ domain-focused research portfolio and simultaneously establish their reputation as leaders in the exploding field of data science. To this end, Scholars are offered opportunities to establish their independence and to develop their leadership skills.
The application deadline has not been set yet. Please come back at a later time for the specific application deadline.
Outstanding candidates interested in this program should submit applications electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications from women and minority candidates are especially encouraged. Applications must include:
- a CV (including a list of publications with the most important 1 to 3 publications indicated with an asterisk),
- a three-page statement of research accomplishments and plans
- a list of 3 to 5 references.
Applications received by the deadline will receive full consideration. Later applications will be considered until all positions are filled. Applicants must complete their Ph.D. requirements prior to starting date of appointment.
Information about benefits may be found at the Office of Human Resources.
Data Science Fellows Program
The Data Science Fellowship for incoming students supports graduate students dedicated to the exploration of fundamental and applied advancement in data science. Data Science Fellows participate in a variety of activities, including lectures, symposia, and networking opportunities with domestic and international experts in data science.
The Fellowship offers consists of a $10,000 stipend award above the program’s standard stipend and a $2,500 research allowance.
Nomination and evaluation process
Note that applicants cannot be nominated for both the Data Science Fellowship and the incoming Ryan Fellowship.
- Directors of Graduate Studies (DGSs) of the participating doctoral programs nominate applicants whose educational background and goals match those of the Data Science Fellowship. Specifically, the applicant’s statement of purpose and/or previous research experience should demonstrate their interest and potential for data science research.
- DGSs must email a list of their program’s nominees to TGS (email@example.com).
- Included in the email should be a PDF of each nominees’ entire application package (one PDF per nominee). This includes scanned copies of the nominees’ application, recommendations, transcripts, and any other relevant materials such as writing samples and resumes.
- The subject line of the email must be: “Data Science Fellowship Nominees: YOUR PROGRAM”. If space limitations require sending more than one email, the subject line must also include “1 of 4”, “2 of 4”, etc. This will ensure that TGS receives all of your nominations.
- TGS will forward the applications to the Data Science Fellowship selection committee.
- The selection committee will email a list of Fellowship winners to TGS.
- TGS will inform programs of the winners. The programs should then send offer letters to the winners, including the Data Science Fellowship language that TGS supplies.
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for clarification on any matter related to the program.